This report was prepared by Catalys and Innovative Futures Research to identify where The Marches should target its support for Smart Specialisation. The work was commissioned by Shropshire Council on behalf of The Marches Local Enterprise Partnership on 15th August 2013 to assist in developing The Marches Smart Specialisation priorities, feeding into the submission to BIS…
Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Smart Specialisation Framework
This report was prepared by Catalys and Innovative Futures Research (IFR commissioned by Cornwall Council on behalf of the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Local Enterprise Partnership to assist in developing the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Smart Specialisation Framework,
The brief requested assistance in completion of Steps 1, 3 and 4 of Guidance for the development of Smart Specialisation Frameworks. The Framework is a necessary pre-requisite for the release of funding for
research, development and innovation within the next EU Strategic and Investment Fund (SIF) strategies being prepared by Local Enterprise Partnerships. Steps 1, 3 and 4 address
- Step 1 – Analysis of the regional context and potential for innovation
- Step 3 – Development of an overall vision for the future of the region
- Step 4 – Identification of priorities
Catalys/IFR was commissioned to review the work undertaken to date and to test the realism of the areas identified for Smart Specialisation. This has been done through:
- review of existing documents already developed by the LEP Innovation Working Group,
- further research and development work, which included: Review of global emerging market opportunities. A particular requirement of the brief was to scope global emerging market opportunities and whether smart specialisation priorities for Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly could open up global markets to local businesses.
- Use of the innovation ecosystem functional model and review of potential smart specialisation priorities against this
- Assessment of the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly (C&IoS)
- innovation context using innovation metrics and the innovation functional model
- Use of the innovation value chain (IVC) concept
- Assessment of C&IoS innovation support assets and current Convergence funded projects against the IVC and the functional model discussions with key stakeholders on the Innovation Working Group and Board.